Beirut blast: dozens of historic buildings in Lebanon capital at risk of collapse

About 60 historic buildings in Beirut are at risk of collapse following last week’s devastating port explosion, Lebanese officials have warned, as the UN’s cultural agency vowed to lead the international campaign for the recovery and restoration of Beirut’s heritage.

At least 8,000 buildings, many concentrated in the historic quarters of Gemayzeh and Mar Mikhael, were affected, said Sarkis Khoury, director general of antiquities at Lebanon’s Ministry of Culture, according to Unesco. Among them are some 640 historic buildings, approximately 60 of which were at risk of collapse, he said.

Also affected was Beirut’s eastern neighbourhood of Achrafieh where the landmark Sursock museum is located. Other neighbourhoods that are home to the National Museum and the Archaeological museum of the American University of Beirut were damaged too, Unesco said. Damaged structures also included art galleries and religious sites

On 4 August, 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate stored at Beirut’s port blew up, obliterating the city’s main commercial hub and damaging large swathes of the Lebanese capital. The blast, the most destructive in the country’s troubled history, killed more than 170 people, wounded more than 6,000 and caused damage worth $10bn-$15bn.

The FBI will join Lebanese, French and other international investigators in the inquiry after being invited by Lebanese authorities.

Lebanese officials agreed on Thursday to name a judicial investigator to lead the inquiry under the auspices of the supreme judicial council, which handles crimes that infringe on the country’s national security, as well as political and state security crimes.

The most-affected areas were Gemayzeh and Mar Mikhael, which face the port and are known for their active night life, with many old buildings turned into pubs or restaurants.

“The international community has sent a strong signal of support to Lebanonfollowing this tragedy,” said Ernesto Ottone Ramirez, assistant Unesco director general for culture. “Unesco is committed to leading the response in the field of culture, which must form a key part of wider reconstruction and recovery efforts.”

There have been concerns for years in Lebanon about historic buildings being sold and then demolished to be replaced by high rises. There have been reports in recent days that middlemen have been contacting owners of damaged historic buildings and offering high prices to buy their property.

Ghazi Wazni, the caretaker finance minister, issued a decree on Wednesday preventing the sale of any historic building without permission from the Ministry of Culture. The move aims to prevent any “exploitation,” the finance ministry said. Continue Reading

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.